Thursday, October 20, 2016

SPEAKING WELL OF THE TED

RIP to Ted V. Mikels, the low-budget mogul behind The Astro-Zombies, The Corpse Grinders, The Worm Eaters, Blood Orgy of the She-Devils, Doll Squad etc. etc., passed on at 87


I interviewed Ted for New Times when he was in the Valley in 2007, presenting a bunch of his films at Chandler Cinema when it was under the auspices of the Midnight Movie Mamacita. I still have autographed DVDs of several of his movies on my shelf. He was an extremely charming guy, and my pal Dewey and I laughed our asses off at The Corpse Grinders, the cheeky Mikels opus of a cat-food company which resorts to using human flesh in its cans (the felines that partake develop an unfortunate partiality to people meat). I remember Ted claiming, proudly, that the film had out-grossed Tora! Tora! Tora! in Honolulu, on the main drag, on its opening weekend. Anyway, in Ted’s honor…

Monster-of-the-Week: …here’s an Astro-Zombie, held at bay by Tura Satana...


No comments:

Post a Comment