Thursday, February 6, 2014

IN A LEAGUE OF ITS OWN

Happy birthday to the great Jules Verne!



It's been easy for me to remember that February 8 is Verne's birthday since I noticed it in his bio page in the back of some Classics Illustrated comic as a kid, and was filled with bitter envy of my friend Mike, who shared that birthday. Had I known in those days that I share a birthday with Leonard Nimoy, it might have lessened my envy somewhat.

Anyway...

Monster-of-the-Week: ...in Verne's honor let's give the nod to that terrifying sea titan, the giant squid from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, as spectacularly depicted in Disney's fine 1954 adaptation...



...or on the cover of the album which I played endlessly as a kid...



Check out Kirk Douglas singing "Whale of a Tale."

No comments:

Post a Comment