Tuesday, January 14, 2014

FRANK TALK

Check out my essay on the noir website The Big Click, in appreciation of Frank McAuliffe, a too-little-remembered crime novelist of the ‘60s and ‘70s.


While we’re on the subject of books, here’s my annual list of books I’ve read, excluding as usual articles and reviews, short stories, poems, comics, blogs, menus, grocery lists and such. It’s a bit shorter than some of my previous lists, partly because I spent some of my time rereading McAuliffe’s “Augustus Mandrell” yarns for the essay, but also because I finally took the time to read Eddison’s wonderful but insanely endless Worm Ouroboros.

Liza of Lambeth by W. Somerset Maugham

Beware the Young Stranger by Ellery Queen

The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison

Elsewhere by Richard Russo

Doctor Who and the Sun Makers by Terrance Dicks

Dial C for Chihuahua by Waverly Curtis

Hot Town by Frank McAuliffe

The Bag Man by Frank McAuliffe

Nate in Venice by Richard Russo

When it All Comes Down to Dust by Barry Graham

Dr. Who and the Abominable Snowmen by Terrance Dicks

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment