Monday, May 8, 2023

BRUSH LEAGUE

Yesterday The Wife and I betook ourselves to Chase Field to see the Arizona Diamondbacks play the Washington Nationals. It was "Bark at the Park" day, so we saw many fabulous dogs...



...but it was also "Paint at the Park" day, so in our section, an area of tables and chairs beyond the outfield...

...each seat was supplied with an apron, a paper plate loaded with several blobs of acrylic paint, brushes and a small blank canvas...

So for the first time I can remember since finger-painting at the Church of the Covenant preschool when I was four, I tried to paint a picture.

This is what it was supposed to look like...


The moon as a baseball, sailing through the sky of a peaceful nighttime desertscape.

I love to look at paintings, and I'm a chronic doodler with pen or pencil--I can still knock out the frog from Ed Emberly's Drawing Book of Animals--but I was pretty sure that painting wouldn't be my medium. Still, I gave it the old college try, watching and listening carefully to the instructor a couple rows down as she did it right.

The Wife's finished product looks sharp and capable...

It's Louvre-worthy compared to my baseball/moon...

...which came out looking like a powdered jelly donut with two centipedes crawling over it.

Well at least I tried. And it was kind of fun. Truthfully, as bad as it is, it probably came out a smidge better than I thought it would.

Oh yeah, the game: The Diamondbacks led the Washington Nationals most of the afternoon, but some sloppy defensive play resulted in them blowing their lead, the game, and their chance at the first series sweep of the season. The final was 9-8; boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment