Monday, July 2, 2018

FAREWELLISON

Happy July everybody!

Check out the July issue of Phoenix Magazine, now on the stands...


...for my "Four Corners" column on the "wrap" in Valley cuisine. Also check out my reviews, on Phoenix Magazine online, of the films Boundaries and Izzy Gets the F* Out of Town, and my attempt, in these times that demand a patriotism in opposition to our beloved country's Administration, at a patriotic July 4th playlist.

June ended on a sad note: RIP to the irreplaceable Harlan Ellison, passed on last Thursday at 84. I spent the weekend In Memoriam for him. Thursday night I watched his wonderful, dreamlike Outer Limits episode "Demon With a Glass Hand," starring Robert Culp, and also turned up a June 1958 issue of Super-Science Fiction...

 
...with an early Ellison story called "No Planet is Safe" that I had never read.

On Friday night, my pal Richard showed us a 1964 episode of Burke's Law written by Ellison, in which his self-consciously florid, allusion-studded dialogue was spouted by guest stars like Joan Blondell, Nina Foch and Betty Hutton. Yet for guest star Buster Keaton he ingeniously crafted a silent-comedy bit. Then Saturday I took down my copy of Strange Wine, and sipped from it for the rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment