Thursday, March 19, 2015

I'M IN A NEW GORK STATE OF MIND

Anybody else remember…

Monster-of-the-Week: …this week’s honoree, Gork, The Monster Who Everything?


Back in 1973, one of my awesome nieces sent me this beautiful poster, created by veteran childrens’ book illustrator Dominic Catalano and sold by the Scholastic Book Service. It hung on my wall for years. Never the monster freak that I was/am, she nonetheless told me that because of this poster the word “Gork” enjoyed a brief vogue at her school as a mild aspersion, as in “The guys in my class are a bunch of gorks."

Anyway, my poster was lost in the shuffle somewhere over the decades, so I was delighted to find the slightly worse-for-the-wear specimen above on eBay recently, for just a buck!

3 comments:

  1. Also looking for this poster. . . . Lost it in a house fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your house fire...hope nothing more serious than your Gork poster was lost! Having said that, I also hope you find a replacement...they seem to turn up every once and a while on eBay!

      Delete
    2. Have one at my mom's house.

      Delete