Monday, December 10, 2012

NEIL COHEN (1963-2012)

Hyperbole is common when the subject is somebody who has just died. But I promise you that I would have listed my friend and Phoenix Film Critic Society colleague Neil Cohen without hesitation as one of the nicest, sweetest people I’ve ever known—a human mood-lifter—even if he hadn’t passed on Saturday night. Which, alas, he did.


Neil was an actor and playwright as well as a critic, a longtime veteran of the Murder-Mystery dinner theater scene, and he succumbed to an apparent heart attack, backstage during a show he was performing in. That he died doing something he loved so much is a great comfort.

RIP, Neil. Be seeing you, pal. I’m so glad I got to chat with you a little after the screening Thursday night. I’ll miss you enormously. If you ever feel like dropping in on a screening, go for it.

Here’s Neil as Rhoda in his notorious production of The Bad Seed some years ago. Something tells me he’d like to be remembered this way…

5 comments:

  1. M. V. thanks so much for this post! I came into work this morning and saw that David had sent out mail and I thought, wow the nomination ballot so soon? Only to read the devestating news. I spoke to Neil a couple of times at screenings last week and my last words to him after Friday's Django Unchained were, "Now I'm off to watch Lincoln" and he laughed. I always looked forward to conversing
    with him and his twinkling eyes. So shocked and saddened by his passing but thanks for the joyous news of it happening while he waited in the he wings! Somewhere Eileen Ryan is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember attending Neil's performance as Rhoda in the Bad Seed production. His performance opened up an entire new perspective as I only knew him from working together in the world of leasing. I am so glad I saw him in action at his best doing what he loved most-theater. I am even more glad and grateful that I knew Neil as a friend, and a great one he was. He will be so terribly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1963- wow, that hits close... Mark, we can all only hope to have a friend such as you deliver the news of our passing to the world. My condolences. Your friend was obviously loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I first met Neil while I was working in LA at Sony PIctures, and last spoke to him about covering a film dealing with transgender issues in the upcoming Greater Phoenix Jewish Film Festival. So sad, but like you said, he died while doing something he loved. He can start up a PFCS Heaven chapter with my husband, Bill. Rest in Peace, Neil.

    -- Deborah Muller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for the kind words, Sal, & everybody...Yes, Deborah, I too pictured Bill & Neil, as well as my old pal Bill Rocz, from Channel 5, looking in on the screenings from On High...but only the fun ones, knowing those guys...

    ReplyDelete