Monday, November 7, 2011

EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SECTS

After the screening of Martha Marcy May Marlene, I had the opportunity to participate in a brief roundtable interview with the director, Sean Durkin. You can read my very short Q&A piece here, on JabCat on Movies.

The star, Elizabeth Olsen, was also there; she told me her influences included “Sinatra musicals,” & that her acting idols were Annette Bening, Diane Keaton, Kate Winslet & Michelle Pfeiffer.

By the way, Beavis and Butt-head are back on MTV, with new adventures—like the Peanuts gang, or Bart Simpson, they’ve done an admirable job of staying young since we last saw them, in 1997. My friends know I’m a great fan of the lads & their creator, the estimable Mike Judge, but even so I was willing to glumly admit it if it seemed to me that the world had moved on & the new shows just weren’t the same.

Well, I’ve watched several episodes now, & apparently imbecility is always in style, at least for me. The new shows convulsed me just like the old ones did. For all the excellence & subtlety of King of the Hill & Office Space & Idiocracy, I think that B&B is Judge’s true masterpiece.

RIP to commentator Andy Rooney, departed at 92, screenwriter Hal Kanter, departed at 92, & heavyweight great Joe Frazier, departed at 67.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the new Beavis and Butthead yet. Knowing that you approve it makes me very, very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought of you while watching them--the new shows take on the Twilight phenomenon, telephone customer service, & the boys' misunderstanding of the concept of asking a chick's father for "her hand." Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God... I can't wait to see those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a Pavlovian reaction - I'm laughing just at the thought of B and B addressing these subjects.

    ReplyDelete