Friday, December 27, 2019

THE INN CROWD

About 9:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve The Wife and I were nodding in front of the tube when The Kid came out, said that her friend was having a party, could she go? We said sure; I drove the three blocks to her house, then was told I was invited. Her friend’s parents are Mexican, speak very little English, are two of the sweetest folks I’ve met and have been very kind to The Kid (she calls them “Padre” and “Madre”). The Mom is also a heavenly cook; I’ve been to these parties several times, sitting there unbecomingly snarfing her scrumptious carne asada or whatever and smiling sheepishly at her friends and neighbors that I can’t talk to.

But this time we went into the back yard to find at least 50 people and a huge, almost life-sized nativity scene; guys were standing around playing guitars and singing beautiful folky-sounding religious tunes while six older ladies held baby dolls. In between each verse the musicians would stop, and one of the ladies would recite some text, then put her doll down on the Nativity scene, then the song would resume, then stop, and the process would be repeated. Then another song was started, during which each of the ladies in turn paced back and forth in front of the Creche, and in the breaks between verses each lady approached her Baby Jesus, recited another text, and presented Him with something: Two eggs for one, a pair of baby shoes for another, etc.

This ritual is apparently called the “Posada”; ever heard of it? I had not. It was beautiful; I felt very privileged to see it. The hosts' goddaughter, one of the few fluently English-speaking people there, explained it to me, and then said “Be sure to stick around for the food; it’s the best.” So I did, and it was. After the ceremony was over, a rather badass (professional) Mariachi band took over, and I gobbled up fabulous, melt-in-your-mouth beef pot roast and beans. The Kid and her friend were pressed into service waiting the tables and did a good job, but they, and the other kids there around their age, were quite uninterested in the cultural festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment