Thursday, July 21, 2011

NOT SO ITSY-BITSY

RIP to Sherwood Schwartz, creator of such unshakeable TV icons as Gilligan’s Island & The Brady Bunch, passed on at 94. In his memory...


Monster-of-the-Week: …let’s honor the gigantic “Black Morning Spider” that menaced the Seven Stranded Castways on That Uncharted Desert Isle, until they were saved by a pigeon named Walter, in one of the weirder episodes—& that’s saying something—of GI.


This imposing arachnid was played, by the way, by the Hungarian costume-maker & performer Janos Prohaska, perhaps better-known as the Mugato & the Horta on Star Trek.

5 comments:

  1. I know you are a fan of the MIDNIGHT MOVIE MAMACITA. Have you made your way over to THE ROYALE yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the venue--it looks great--but haven't seen a movie there yet. Hope to get there soon! Have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I caught STAKELAND last Friday. As someone who pretty much grew up (6th grade to now) in Mesa I'm simply glad the place exists. If it was around while I was in high school I think I would have been there all the time. I'm really curious as to the movies they are going to bring in. I was never able to catch a MIDNIGHT movie when they were at MADCAPP but from what they brought in I thought they were screening film prints. The Royale is digital. Is that going to limit what they are going to be able to bring in? It doesn't matter witht the rep stuff (ARMY OF DARKNESS and whatnot) but I'm curious how this is going to work with the newer stuff.

    I've complained for a long time what a crap movie city Phoenix is. For being so big, it's depressing the lack of movie choices we have. It's basically Harkins or nothing, and for as great as Harkins is it really only brings in the really high profile independent/foreign/art house type fare. We often head to Tucson to catch movies that will never play here. For that reason alone, The Royale is a place that needs to be supportive. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to write supported and not supportive. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a look at the venue itself, & it looks great. Hope it's a huge success, obviously.

    ReplyDelete